Director-General Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport
Have you got what it takes to make Queensland the largest tourism industry in Australia? What about the drive to build a thriving state economy through innovation, and the passion to empower Queenslanders to improve their health and wellbeing through sports and active recreation?
If this sounds like you, bring your leadership and direction to the Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport, where you will be responsible for Queensland’s innovation and tourism sectors to drive economic growth, to create jobs, and to support Queensland’s participation and success in sport and active recreation. You will also work with the Premier and Minister for Trade to support international students in Queensland, particularly around healthcare, employment and accommodation in response to COVID-19 pandemic.
About the Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport
The Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport invests in Queensland’s innovation and tourism sectors to drive economic growth and create jobs in our regions—ultimately to help make Queensland the largest tourism industry in Australia—and empowers Queenslanders to improve their health and wellbeing through sports and active recreation.
We work with Tourism and Events Queensland to grow tourism in the state, with the Queensland Academy of Sport to support Queensland’s elite athletes and with Stadiums Queensland on the management of major sports facilities that host major events.
The department is proud to be an accredited White Ribbon Workplace, working every day to ensure our employees feel respected, safe and valued. The department also supports work-life balance and is committed to supporting an inclusive and diverse workforce.
Full time equivalent employees – 420.
2020 – 21 portfolio budget:
- Controlled total revenue budget: $492.6 million
- Total administered revenue budget: $128.7 million
- Total capital budget (excluding capital grants): $26.6 million
Key duties and accountabilities
As Director-General, you will:
- provide strategic leadership that communicates a clear, compelling visionary, value-based leadership, and management to the Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport
- build and maintain productive relationships with stakeholders, understanding their different and competing views, and managing stakeholders with diplomacy and tact
- ensure the effective and efficient administration and operation of the Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport and the performance of its functions
- advise and support the Minister to deliver the priorities outlined in the Ministerial Charter letter relating to tourism industry development, innovation, and leading the government’s recovery and response for the international education market
- provide a key role in the government’s investigations into hosting the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- administer the various Acts and to further their purposes, in protecting and advancing Queensland’s tourism and sporting sectors
- model ethical behaviour and consistently applying those standards
- innovatively problem solve including making decisions that stand the test of time and are supported by a clear rationale.
Interested in applying?
For further information about this opportunity and how to apply, visit www.ontalent.com.au/dgtis or contact Natasha Olsson-Seeto via email@example.com or 0403 262 333.
Applications close 5pm, Monday 18 January 2021.