The Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships has a lead role in enabling Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people to contribute to, and enjoy, Queensland’s prosperity and lifestyle through the delivery of whole-of-Government policies, programs and services.
We are seeking candidates for the role of the Executive Director, Local Thriving Communities to lead and drive implementation of the Queensland Government’s Response to the Queensland Productivity Commission’s Report on findings from its inquiry into service delivery in Queensland’s remote and discrete Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. The role includes high level engagement with key stakeholders including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and councils to co-design, implement and evaluate complex reforms to ensure services meet local needs and deliver local priorities. The role also ensures the delivery of all required performance and accountability reporting, and provision of strategic advice to the Deputy Director-General, Director-General, Minister and other government agencies regarding the reform program.
Leading a cohesive and impactful team, your responsibilities will include:
- Lead the implementation of the Government’s response to the Queensland Productivity Commission’s Inquiry into Service delivery in Queensland’s remote and discrete Indigenous Communities
- Support and motivate a team to leverage resourcing to deliver outcomes under the reform program
- Provide high quality policy advice, information and guidance to the Minister, the Director-General and the Deputy Director-General
- Provide high level leadership to, and develop strategic partnerships with, other Government and non-Government organisations at all levels
- Lead high level engagement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leaders and communities to co-design, implement and evaluate complex reforms to service delivery to meet local needs and deliver on local priorities
- Represent the interests of the department at regional, state and national forums ensuring effective negotiation on relevant issues, and promote the activities of the department in optimising services for clients and in particular for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- As part of the department’s Executive Leadership Team, provide strategic leadership within the department to ensure better outcomes for the department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander partners
- Support regional service delivery through the provision of practical policy advice, implementation and management of issues
- Provide strategic leadership and management of the department’s vision, goals and values to ensure the successful implementation and integration of major organisational reform initiatives.
To be successful in this role you must be able to demonstrate a track record of developing and implementing programs that deliver reform that is aligned to vision and brings about impactful, positive change. You will have led positive change linked to complex strategy. Your experience will have encompassed working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leaders and communities, and you will have knowledge of both cultures and societies from a historical and contemporary perspective. You will be able to engage in accordance with cultural protocols.
Your application for this exciting role should include your resume, a 1-2 page cover letter outlining why you are the right person for this role and either a written reference from or the details of a referee who is an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person who can attest to your knowledge, skills, experience and cultural capabilities.
Confidential enquiries can be made to Natasha Olsson-Seeto or Tania Riley on 07 3305 5819.