Norfolk Island is an external territory of Australia located in the Pacific Ocean and is home to around 1800 people. The island has many historic and cultural precincts and is visited by around 30,000 people annually. Norfolk Island Regional Council (NIRC) provides traditional local government services to its community and visitors, as well as running commercial entities such as Telecom, the power station, the international airport, fire and emergency services and the liquor bond store. Council also operates under a service delivery agreement State and Commonwealth functions such as Registry; with Health, Education and Police services being provided/funded under contract by the Commonwealth Government.
OnTalent is delighted to work in partnership with (NIRC) to source a suitable candidate for the role of Manager Economic Development. This position reports to the General Manager and leads a team of professional, technical, trades and administrative staff providing a diverse range of services across Norfolk Island (NI). As a member of the Council’s leadership team your responsibilities will include:
- Economic development of NI, including marketing, tourism and events, particularly ensuring tourism recovers strongly from the effects of Covid-19
- Crafting and executing an economic development strategy that will promote broader commercial and industrial growth across the Island and encourage investment
- Ensure that freight services to NI meet the needs of the community and are cost-effective
- Oversight of the operation of the international airport and its essential emergency response team
- Oversight of the development and maintenance of the Kingston and Authur Vale Historic Area and the operation of the Norfolk Island Museum
- Ensure the cost effective and efficient operation Liquor Bond warehouse and sales area
- Financial, operational and service planning, management and quality
- People management and workforce capability, system and process improvements within the Division and relationship building with key stakeholders
To be considered you will possess tertiary qualifications in business, economic development, events management or another relevant disciplines. You will have advanced qualifications in a management field and experience working in regional and remote communities. You will have a minimum of ten years extensive experience at a senior level in local government or a similar organisation providing diverse services to the community including management of a diverse workforce and development and management of budgets and resource plans. You will have demonstrated high level leadership, organisational and people management skills, cultural awareness and the ability to prioritise key objectives and manage change effectively. Extensive experience in dealing with key stakeholders and to work productively with Councillors, the community and diverse interest groups. This role requires well developed analysis, presentation and communication skills requires a deep knowledge of community, social and economic development and the ability to provide high level advice to the General Manager, the Council and its Committees.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone to enjoy the pleasures of this idyllic lifestyle and an attractive salary package including six weeks annual leave and relocation support is being offered.
Confidential enquiries or to request a Success Profile contact Robyn Titmus, Senior Client Partner or Leanne Nunan, Associate Client Partner at OnTalent, on (07) 3305 5800. To be considered, please submit a 1-2 page cover letter and resume (Word format) by selecting the “apply now” function.
OnTalent is committed to storing and utilising your information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988. For further information regarding this please visit: https://www.ontalent.com.au/privacy-policy.