The Strategic Category Specialist - electro-mech commodities must be able to solve complex problems associated with data and spend analysis, cost benchmarks, diverse and/or conflicting agency requirements, procurement processes, and vendor and contract management.
Other areas of responsibility will cover the management of both Strategic and Tactical elements of procurement within the business.
Lead the commercial aspects of NPD, commodity strategies, supplier development /optimising partnerships, plus managing and coaching a small team.
The position will be responsible for sourcing, negotiating, implementing and administering long term supply agreements for the Electronic and electromechanical product commodity areas. Key responsibilities include participating in cross-functional teams, researching best commodity practices, achieving cost reduction initiatives and executing sourcing strategies.
Under the direction of the VP of Supply Chain, from an operational and delivery perspective, the Strategic Category Specialist - electro-mech commodities will:
- Develop contract specific performance metrics.
- Gathers and analyses benchmarks for pricing and contract terms.
- Manage all Electronic and electromechanical product and the associated supplier base including indirect procurement activities.
- Develop supplier partnerships for quality, supply chain, risk management, product and margin enhancement.
- Develop and implement competitive sourcing strategies for the commodity spend.
- Project management – NPI – Support a number of projects simultaneously and promote early supplier engagement for NPD.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards, even when challenged from above.
- Works closely with other procurement team members in support of procurement and contract activities.
- Leads and develops strategy for formal supplier negotiations and supports other procurement staff with similar activities.
- Monitors vendor commodity market and industry developments to identify appropriate opportunities to maximize cost savings and quality of procured goods or services.
- Conducts regular business reviews with vendor executives to review and discuss vendor performance, contract activities and negotiate contract enhancements and price decreases.
- Conducts ongoing vendor and contract management to ensure vendor compliance with contractual obligations.
- Builds and manages business relationships with internal and external vendors to facilitate effective contract management and sourcing outcomes.
As a proven and successful Strategic Category Specialist, you will have:
- A professional qualification in Purchasing (such as CIPS) or a relevant business, engineering or science degree.
- Extensive strategic procurement experience at local and global platform level.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools, particularly Excel
- Excellent organization, problem solving, and negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical and presentation skills
- Experience working in a manufacturing /engineering environment especially relating to high-tech or automotive would be an advantage.
- Technical competence in electronics & mechanical components would be a distinct advantage.
- Excellent supplier relationship and negotiating skills.
- Knowledge and experience using modern ERP / MRP systems.
- Experience with sourcing in low cost offshore economies would be beneficial.
- Proven ability to command, manage and motivate suppliers.
- Good analytical skills plus strong commercial skills and awareness.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written and able to communicate at all levels of the organisation.
- Ability to forge strong internal relationships, experience in Stakeholder Management.
- Ability to work with tight deadlines and prioritise work
- Process and people focused
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to move from project to project in a fast-paced environment
If you are excited by the prospect of the challenges related to growth, love strategy but equally enjoy rolling up your sleeves, we want to hear from you.
To be considered, please submit your resume and cover letter (Word format) by selecting the “apply now” function. Confidential enquiries can be made to Peter Starling, Client Partner on 07 3305 5830.