Beware of recruitment scams known to be targeting jobseekers
There has recently been an increase in reported scams and instances of fraud across the recruitment sector within the Asia Pacific region.
Jobs and employment scams trick you into handing over your money by offering you a ‘guaranteed’ way to make fast money or a high-paying job for little effort.
Warning signs: how to spot a job or employment scam
- You come across an advertisement, receive an email, SMS or WhatsApp message, letter or phone call offering you a guaranteed income or job.
- A scammer purporting to be an OnTalent consultant contacts you on a social media or job board platform:
- Warning signs include a suspicious profile image, lack of genuine profile information, activity or contact details.
- If in doubt ask the individual to send you an email from their OnTalent email address. An email from an OnTalent consultant will be sent from the official OnTalent domain e.g. [email protected]
- The message may claim lots of money can be made with little effort using your personal computer, or guarantee large returns.
- The message asks you to provide personal details or a fee for more information about the job or start-up materials.
- You are asked to transfer money on behalf of someone else, which may be money laundering.
Please note OnTalent will never ask a candidate for any form of direct payment and all email correspondence from an OnTalent consultant will be sent from the official OnTalent domain e.g. [email protected]
If you suspect you have been targeted by a recruitment scam, please contact ACSC (Australian Cyber Security Centre) or ACCC (Australian Competition & Consumer Commission) in Australia.
If you are in Australia and have exchanged any personal information with a suspected scammer, please report this immediately to the ACSC.
For tips about online safety and security and an Australian Government directory for where to get help see the Be safe Be alert online quick reference guide.
See how we can help.
Connect with us today
What the market is saying about us
Our clients love the fact that we always take the time to understand their needs, communicate and work professionally with individual treatment. We are so proud of the relationships we have developed with our client partners and we are always happy to provide detailed references or case studies on the successful projects we have completed with them. Due to the nature of the work we do, some of our clients must remain confidential, but here’s what some of our clients have to say.